Berkey PF-2™ Fluoride and Arsenic Reduction Filters:
- Berkey PF-2™& Arsenic Filter are designed to be used in conjunction with the Black Berkey® Filter only
- Constructed of: Non-leaching Polypropylene #5 that is BPA-Free plastic
- PF-2 attach to the bottom of the Black Berkey® Filter and sit in the lower chamber of the Berkey unit
- Comes in a set of 2 (two), Set of 2 Berkey PF-2™ Elements need replacement after 1000 gallons of use
- The Berkey PF-2™ Fluoride and Arsenic Reduction Elements adsorb the following unwanted elements found in drinking water:
- Fluoride: Sodium Fluoride, Sodium Fluorosilicate, Fluorosilicic Acid (aka Hydrofluorosilic Acid)
- Arsenic: V and pre-oxidized Arsenic III
- Other residual heavy metal ions
- Attach to the bottom of the Black Berkey® Purification Elements and sit in the lower chamber of the Berkey unit
- Number of Berkey PF-2™ Elements in the bottom chamber must match the number of Black Berkey® Purification Elements in the top chamber; for example, 4 Black Berkey® Purification Elements would require 4 PF-2 Filters
- The Berkey PF-2™ Fluoride and Arsenic Reduction Elements are covered under a six month warranty
PF-2 filters reduce filtration flow rate by 15-20%
Filter Capacity: 3,785 liters per set of two under normal usage. Note that high levels of Fluoride, arsenic and heavy metals can reduce the capacity and efficiency of the filter.
- Recommended PF-2 Replacement: If the system is refilled about one time per day, the PF-2’s should be replaced after 12 months, if the system is refilled about twice per day, the PF-2’s should be replaced about every 6 months.
- Do not boil element
- Total filtration flow rate reduced by 15-20% due to added water purification
Berkey PF-2™ Fluoride & Arsenic Filter
The PF-2 fluoride & arsenic reduction filter (set of 2) work in conjunction with the Black Berkey® filter as they fit onto the end of the Black Berkey® filter while sitting in the lower chamber of a gravity filter unit as shown. They will fit into all of the Berkey systems EXCEPT the Go Berkey Kit.
Technical Information and Testing
Testing for fluoride was based on 20-30 ppm of the ion in the in-fluent aqueous solution at a flow rate of no more than 3 gpm (11 l pm) per cubic foot of media. Results of < 1 ppm of the fluoride ion in the effluent were typical for the media (>95% reduction). Under optimum conditions, effluent concentrations of less than 50 ppb were readily achieved (>99.75% reduction). This product uniquely targets the entire family of arsenic oxide anions as well as the arsenic cations.
Our original tests were done using gravity alone to purge the PF-2 filters. Since then, we have added a step by using purging buttons which are much more efficient at removing any residual process dust from the PF-2 media. The test does not distinguish between activated alumina (Al2O3) and Aluminum (Al). So we had to use the total count of aluminum and activated alumina in our tests.
PF-2 filters contain high-grade activated alumina (Al2O3), which currently is the most efficient media available for extracting fluoride from water. Activated alumina is inert. Below are the results we obtained when testing the PF-2 filters (the water was not pre-filtered through the Black Berkey® filter elements). The reduction over time is due to additional residual process dust being washed free from the PF-2 filter as the system is used. To give a scale for comparison purposes we include test results from a national brand toothpaste and water boiled in an aluminum pan.
National brand toothpaste 52.878 ppm aluminum
Water boiled in an aluminum pan for five minutes: 2.791 ppm aluminum
PF2 after conditioning (5 cycles): .178 ppm aluminum
PF2 after 10 Cycles: .037 ppm aluminum
PF2 after 20 Cycles: .029 ppm aluminum
While the above results indicate that the residual process dust adds a minute amount of activated alumina to the water, the Black Berkey® filter reduce aluminum from the water. We tested water that naturally contained .320 ppm aluminum and filtered it through the combination of the Black Berkey® filter and the post conditioned PF-2 filtration elements (5 cycles). The results showed a net reduction in aluminum contamination (Raw in-fluent: .320 ppm – Effluent after passing through the Black Berkey® filter and PF-2 filter : .232 ppm). Again, the standard tests cannot distinguish between aluminum (Al) and activated alumina (Al2O3), which is inert. Nevertheless, the tests showed a net reduction by the Black Berkey® filter in the combination of naturally occurring aluminum plus any residual activated alumina (Al2O3) process dust from the PF-2 elements.
In other words, the Black Berkey® filter removed more aluminum from the water than was added by the Berkey PF-2™& Arsenic Filter.
Under normal conditions, we recommend that each set of two PF-2 filters be replaced after approx. 3,785 liters. For instance, the Royal Berkey system is about 12.3 liters, therefore the PF-2 filters should be replaced after (3,785/12.3) or 307 refills. If the system is refilled about one time per day, the Berkey PF-2™& Arsenic Filter should be replaced after 12 months, if the system is refilled about twice per day, the PF-2’s should be replaced about every 6 months. Actual capacity is dependent on the presence of other competing contaminants in the source water. High levels of fluoride, arsenic and heavy metals may reduce the capacity and efficiency of the elements.
Priming the PF-2 Water Filter
(Attention: PF-2 filters must be primed before use.)
How to Prime and Install the Berkey PF-2 Fluoride and Arsenic Filters:
- With blue caps in place, wash the exterior of each PF-2 water filter with a mild dish soap.
- With clean hands, remove both blue caps from each end of the PF-2 water filter.
- Place the rubber priming button (tan colored) onto one end of the PF-2 water filter and align the hole in the button with the hole in the PF-2 water filter.
- Press the priming button up against a sink faucet so that the priming button creates a seal between the faucet and the PF-2 filter.
- While holding the priming button against the faucet, turn on the cold water gently and allow the water to fill the cavity of the PF-2 water filter and discharge from the opposite end. Allow the water to discharge for at least 2-3 minutes or until the water runs clear, whichever is longer. Hint: Place your thumb on top of the faucet to apply pressure creating a tighter seal.
- Now repeat the process by turning the PF-2 water filter over and priming the filter from the opposite end in the same manner.
- Prime each additional PF-2 filter repeating steps 3-6.